How is Sour Cream Made?
A dairy-based sour cream is made from the milk of a cow. What traditionally happens is that the very top of the milk is skimmed off. That skimmed off portion is then allowed to ferment at modest temperatures. Another way it can be soured is to add acid-producing bacterial culture to pasteurized cream.
Of course, vegan sour cream works differently. It is so simple that there are several easy, do-it-yourself recipes available with a simple Google search. If you do choose to make your own, we suggest pairing it with our easy vegan potato soup recipe. Just a dollop on top will have you wondering why you ever thought you needed dairy, to begin with.
The basic premise of a vegan sour cream recipe requires soaking raw cashews and using a blender, along with various spices and household items. It can be made with simple ingredients such as Dijon mustard, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and water.
Vegan Sour Cream vs Regular Sour Cream
There are a lot of misconceptions about both vegan sour cream and regular sour cream. Here is a breakdown of some of the benefits and myths of each product.
- Dairy-Free Sour Cream
- There are a lot of animal lovers who turn to dairy-free sour cream alternatives because it is important to them to know that the food they consume has not harmed a living creature in any way. This makes vegan sour cream an excellent addition to their diet. Don’t believe the myth about it lacking taste, either.
- With such easy recipes you can make at home and so many different brands becoming readily available in the stores, it is not as difficult to eat a vegan lifestyle as it used to be. Now, it is as simple as a bit of pre-planning and a visit to your local grocery store. You don’t have to be as concerned about the fat content in a vegan alternative either, as you do in a regular sour cream.
- Other Variations of Sour Cream
- Many dieters tend to stay away from regular sour cream because of the fattening properties it contains. However, according to LIVESTRONG, there are actually many health benefits contained in dairy sour cream, as well. Therefore, the idea that it is something that should be avoided is more a myth than anything else.
- Some of the benefits of dairy sour cream include the high vitamin B12 levels. This helps prevent vitamin B12 deficiency, which can actually be quite common. Regular sour cream is also high in vitamins A and E, which can help keep your eyes healthy, along with a slew of other health benefits.
What Type of Sour Cream is Best for You
With so much information out there, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. That is why it is so important to educate yourself before making any final decisions.
Healthier Sour Cream Alternatives
If you are one of those people who loves sour cream on things like a nice baked potato, an omelet, or a burrito, but still want to watch your waistline in the process, then there are a lot of sour cream alternatives you can turn to.
If you are looking for a dairy sour cream, then “light” options offer fewer fat grams and less calories. There are even “non-fat” options if you want to completely eliminate any unnecessary fat grams from your diet. Just make sure you are not eliminating healthy fats.
There are also many vegan options that will work for you when you are looking for healthier alternatives. Those include brands like Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Sour Cream, which uses a creamy coconut base in its product. It’s so good you might not even realize it’s vegan. There is also WayFare Dairy Free Sour Cream and Dairy-Free Cashew Sour Cream, depending on whether your taste buds prefer a cashew base or a plant base.
If you are ever unsure of where to turn to, our Nutrition Realm guides are an excellent source of direction. Don’t forget to check out our healthy recipes, as well. Many of them could use a dollop of vegan sour cream if you are not afraid to get creative.
- 58Cream cheese has been a staple in American kitchens since the late 19th century. Aside from being a ubiquitous breakfast food throughout the country, cream cheese is also a key ingredient in many dips and baked dishes. Unfortunately, most cream cheese products currently sold on the market are high in…
- 43There is no debating that peanuts are one of the most popular food items worldwide. They are delicious, affordable, and extremely versatile. In addition to being excellent cocktail snacks, peanuts can be used to make a wide range of products such as peanut butter, smoothies, and even peanut oil. Regardless of…
- 37Enjoy the benefits of skin-nourishing collagen without compromising vegan values. Plant-Based Collagen Builderâ„¢ is unique because it help stimulate production of collagen, a key â€œbeauty proteinâ€ found in radiant, healthy skin.* Formulate
- 36What is Fermentation? Fermented foods have been conserved and converted by good and harmless bacteria. What that means is that the sugars and carbohydrates already in the food have been consumed by the good bacteria. The bacteria then convert that sugar into different elements such as carbon dioxide, acids, and…