As parents, we’re always encouraging our kids to take in more calcium for stronger bones and a healthy metabolism. But what about ourselves? Calcium is crucial to our bodies as we age, especially for women. It can prevent bone loss and painful osteoporosis. So, why not make calcium consciousness a family affair? Here are some of our favorite chewable calcium supplements, for kids and adults!
Why is Calcium Important?
Calcium actually plays a major role in our diets, more than just building strong bones. It’s crucial to proper development in kids and teens, and longevity as adults. That’s why taking a chewable calcium supplement is so important. Here’s a list of all the things calcium does for our bodies, many you probably never even knew about.
- Builds strong bones
- Essential to blood clotting
- Helps muscles to contract
- Strengthens teeth
How to Increase Your Calcium
Everyday, in everything we do, we are losing calcium. It comes out through our sweat, urine, and feces. We also use it to grow our skin nails and hair, depleting our supplies if it’s not regularly replaced. So how can we make sure we are getting enough calcium each day through food and chewable calcium supplements? Well, first, know how much you need each day…
- Babies (0-6 months): 200mg per day
- Babies (6-11 months): 260mg per day
- Children (1-3 years): 700mg per day
- Children (4-8 years): 1,000 mg per day
- Kids and Teens (9-18 years): 1,300 mg per day
- Women (Under 50 Years): 1,000mg per day
- Women (Over 50 Years): 1,200mg per day
- Men (Under 70 Years): 1,000mg per day
- Men (Over 70 Years): 1,200mg per day
Meeting your daily calcium intake is easy. As long as you get enough, it can be achieved through a combination of diet and chewable calcium supplements. When looking for a supplement for either yourself or for your child, make sure you are buying from a high quality and trusted manufacturer. Here are three brands we trust that offer chewable calcium supplements for the whole family.
Some of the most common foods that are high in calcium include:
- Dairy products (milk, cheese and yogurt)
- Almonds (including almond milk)
- Seeds (poppy, sesame and chia)
- Beans and lentils
If you’d like to try other types of calcium supplements, Natural Healthy Concepts offers a wide range of products, including drink mixes, tablets, and more.
How do you meet your daily calcium intake? Tell us about your supplement routine in the comments below!
- 50Calcium is an essential mineral needed every day for proper health. 99% of the body's calcium can be found in the bones. This mineral provides the building blocks that help keep bones and teeth strong and healthy. In addition, calcium helps to support the
- 44Sadly, far too many children do not get the recommended 800 to 1,300 mg of calcium they need to build and support healthy bones. And with this as our motivation, we're pleased to introduce new NOW Kid Cal Chewables. These animal-shaped chewable lozenges h
- 35GABA (Gamma Aminobutyric Acid) is a non-protein amino acid that functions as a neurotransmitter in the human brain. GABA is known as the brain's own calming agent and is naturally produced in the body. By inhibiting over-stimulation of the brain, GABA may
- 355-HTP, the intermediate metabolite between the amino acid L-tryptophan and serotonin, is extracted from the bean of an African plant (Griffonia simplifolia).
- 34Ginger is a traditional herb used in many cultures for thousands of years. It is clinically shown to help prevent nausea and vomiting due to motion and/or seasickness.* Traditionally used as an herbal remedy to help support digestive health and well-being